Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thoughts near the end...

The guys are now 140 nautical miles away. They'll either show up late tonight, or very early in the morning. I'm glad that their last 500 miles or so have had excellent wind, and Shenanigans is scooting right along.

Lately, I've been finding myself daydreaming pretty often about being out in the middle of nowhere, sailing peacefully along, just Jonny and I. I tell you, cruising is an addiction. It gets in your head and will always be there. I regret not taking the long trip home with the guys. At the time, I wanted to wash my hands of the situation forever. Yet, these past thirty-something days, I've had time to think about what happened.

I shouldn't let a couple bad experiences ruin an amazing way to see the world. Sure, sailing long distance can be gut-wrenchingly scary at times, or dreadfully monotonous at others. But, just like that old saying, "nothing easily obtained is worth fighting for," it is that journey that makes the payoff so great. When you walk on land for the first time in weeks, realizing that it was you, your partner(s), and vessel alone that got you there...that is a feeling beyond words. Additionally, I cannot even begin to describe the comraderie and goodwill of all the people we were so lucky to meet on our trip. That in itself is worth the seemingly endless days at sea.

I still want to see Mexico and the South Pacific by boat. Of course, that is easy for me to say...I'm not the one who just spent 34 days on the ocean, longing for home and trying to stay positive. We will have to see what the future holds for Shenanigans, Jon and I. For now, I think we will return to our role as "productive" members of society. I know Jon will suffer from my affliction as well: memories of an albatross eyeing us as it lazily glides by on the same puff of air that we ride, the sunshine illuminating monstrous towering cumulus, thousands of miles of open ocean surrounding us, warm rain, freedom.

I'm off to daydream a bit more.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Danielle. Can't wait to see you both and hear all of the great adventure stories. love always, Aunt Nancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post Dani! I am seriously think you should be a writer :)

    ReplyDelete